In Burgundy, in the village of Chassy, in the canton of Aillant, hidden in the coleseed fields, lies the old castle of Arbonne. It’s an ancient manor with four round towers. Already in the 11th and 12th century the fee (or fief) of Arbonne was mentioned in the archives. Of this domain only 7000 m2 is left nowadays, but its medieval allure is still intact. After the Hundred Years’ War (1337-1453) Arbonne became a prison. At the end of the 16th century the domain fell into the hands of Bloisset de Thizouaille, a man with protestant sympathies. Because of that the castle was almost completely destroyed in 1591 but the troops of the French Ligue, but restored quite soon afterwards. In the 17th century the estate became into posession of the Guignard family. The fiefdom Arbonne grew to 63 acres with fishing and hunting rights and a watermill. After the death of the last Guignard, in 1747, Arbonne was bought by Jean-Louis de Bernage de Vaux. The fiefdom ceased to exist and the manor changed more and more into a farm. In the 19th century the domain became the property of the notary-family Précy. At the beginning of the 20th century Arbonne was inhabited by the Montagne family. Farm and towers fell in to deplorable state. Arbonne was abandonned at end of the century. In 2007 the ruin was acquired and restored by the artist Eric Weber.
Maak uw eigen unieke website met aanpasbare sjablonen.